Thursday, June 13, 2013

Grandma's Chair

Memories

When I look at this chair I think of the good times we had with Grandma, Sunday dinners and family get together's. I also think of the precious times that I was able to help care for Grandma when she was sick.

After Grandma passed away we were fortunate enough to get her dining room table. It was in pretty good shape. But 5 years and 5 kids later it was hammered! (Sorry Grandma) Chairs were breaking, table legs falling off. We have 3 chairs left, 2 captains chairs and this chair. I almost donated it, several times. But couldn't part with it! I knew I wanted to do something with it.

It was just sitting in my garage taking up space. But everytime I thought about sanding down all the parts of this chair I just put it aside. And then I discovered Annie Sloan Paint. Grandma's chair seemed like a good little project to try out this new paint everyone is raving about. So, here is my first attempt with this awesome paint! I wiped it down with baby wipes and started painting!

  
Grandma's Chair before

Here is the chair before I waxed it. I tried really hard to get good coverage and get the paint all smoothed out. There is 2 full coats of paint and watered down light coat. I discovered that I didn't need to do this. One good coat and a light watered down coat works great. I lightly sanded the chair all over to get a really smooth finish, but after I waxed it I realized that was not necessary. We liked the soft matte look of the chair before the wax.
After 2 1/2 coats of chalk paint
But I love, love, LOVE it after distressing and waxing it!
Finished!
This beautiful chair now sits in my entry by my front door. I applied one coat of clear wax. I am still trying to get the hang of the waxing, it's not as easy as people make it look. But the more I work with it the easier it is getting. I distressed this chair before I waxed it, I like distressing pieces before waxing. I think it's less work to do it this way. The cute accent pillow was made by Grandma's daughter, Aunt Shelli over at Needles in a Haystack. Check out her blog. She has some really touching entries about Grandma and Grandpa Wray. http://needleinahaystackstitchery.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment