Thursday, June 13, 2013

Painted Flower Pots

What happens when you move into a new house and they leave behind two nice big flower pots sitting on the front porch? Well, I have to paint them of course! And what happens after I paint my flower pots? Instant friends! Just kidding. But there are several ladies at church who really like my flower pots. I think they called it pot envy. Ha ha, that made me laugh. But 2 years later this is what is happening to my cute pots.

Is that the saddest sight you have ever seen? The paint started coming off last summer. But it was in just a few spots and gave it a cute chippy look. And when bigger sections would come off I would just turn the pot around to hide the nakedness of my cute blue pots.

So what to do? Deal with it another summer? These pots are too naked now! Something must be done. And in a hurry, cause I am losing sleep over my naked blue pots!

It doesn't take much to get a lot of the paint of. But I spent hours scraping and sanding! It was hard, especially in the heat. But after several days I had the pots ready for the next step. There were blue paint chips all over my drive way. Yes, I vacuumed the paint chips up with my new central vac! The garage hose reached all the way out to the driveway, thank goodness. The paint that was chipped and sanded off wasn't sweeping up very easily.

After some research I decided that I would prime the pots with some Krylon Primer and then use my favorite blue paint and antiquing gel. I was going to use the Kilz primer, but was having problems with it getting all rough. Will talk about that in the post about the yellow pots.

Can you see the mess that I made of my driveway?

This is after I vacuumed up the mess!


I will show you a picture of what they look like all finished with flowers in my next post with the yellow garage sale pots. Oh ya, I put 2 coat of outdoor polyurethane on the pots when I was finished. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy these pretty pots for longer then 2 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment